Tuesday, March 9, 2010

FANTASIES and REALITY

Gay Relationships: Fantasies And Realities

Posted: 12 May 2009 01:19 AM PDT

147829274500 Aren’t fantasies great? You can enjoy an erotic fantasy when you're all by yourself, with a partner, or even during a dull moment at a family reunion. Fantasies are natural, easy, inexpensive, personalized. If it’s your fantasy, you get to call the shots and create a partner, a scene or an entire world, all shaped to your liking. Your fantasy may be fairly ordinary (sex with your favorite actor, for instance) or it may be unique to you.

Getting lost in a fantasy is a different story. Bill, a professional guy in his mid-30’s, landed the man of his dreams a while ago: handsome, sexy, the perfect age, size – even eye color. Bill was in heaven. For a couple of months. “He couldn’t hold a conversation,” Bill said. That didn’t matter much when most of the conversation took place between the sheets. “It got worse. I put up with a lot because he was so hot – just what I always wanted, I thought. It got worse. I couldn’t say no. I felt like I lost two good years of my life with a guy who was a real jerk, all because he was so cute.

”Fantasies can be a way for us to entertain ourselves when we’re feeling bored; that’s reason enough to enjoy them. Erotic daydreams can be a workout for your imagination. When we open ourselves to them, we can find out more about ourselves – especially the interior landscape of our desires. Slipping into a fantasy and turning ourselves on is part of what makes it such a hot experience.

Sexual fantasies can be ways we try out new things in our heads before we try them out in our beds. They help avoid getting in a rut and can make us better lovers. Maybe you find yourself getting turned on by something you don’t usually do with a partner: having his finger inside you or working his nipples harder than you usually do. Exploring those thoughts might give you ideas for trying something new in real-time. And getting turned on with a fantasy can help you bring more heat to sex by getting you in the mood.

When does a fantasy become…too much? Chris would spend days working himself up over a particularly hot head-trip involving a co-worker. It had been his favorite masturbation material for months when the object of his lust suddenly made a pass at him. Chris could hardly believe his good fortune. “I was so turned on that I came almost as soon as I put on a condom,” he told me. “He was cool about it, but I could tell he was disappointed. And I was so mad at myself I thought I’d pop a blood vessel. I felt like a real idiot.”

Chris had rehearsed the scene in his head so often that it was like he wasn’t really around when things actually started to happen. It’s not an unusual situation for guys who live in their heads. The scene becomes a powerful stimulus for arousal. When the real thing happens, the intensity can be overwhelming. The result may be premature ejaculation or trouble getting an erection.

Take a deep breath. Remember that you’re in real life now, not fantasyland. Slow down. Take your time. If you’re getting so turned on that sex starts to feel like a runaway train, take a breather.

Some people find their fantasies disturbing.
They worry they are sick to have the fantasy of being raped, or having sex with someone other than their partner, or doing something dangerous or illegal. And unfortunately, if they get into psychotherapy with a therapist who is judgmental or uncomfortable with sex, their feelings of self-judgment may be confirmed.

Fantasies like these that involve some sort of transgression aren’t uncommon. These daydreams aren’t necessarily a sign of anything other than an active imagination. It’s important to understand the difference between fantasy and reality. Getting raped in real life is nothing like most people’s fantasies of being overpowered by some super stud.

If you find yourself worried about your fantasy life, check to see if it’s having a negative effect on your relationship or other parts of your life. If not, maybe there is nothing to worry about. If you find yourself planning on turning a dangerous or illegal fantasy into a reality, think again.

You’re not responsible for what turns you on, but you are definitely responsible for what you choose to do. Some fantasies are meant to stay fantasies.

John R. Ballew, M.S. an author and contributor to GAYTWOGETHER, is a licensed professional counselor in private practice in Atlanta. He specializes in issues related to coming out, sexuality, relationships and spirituality. If you have any questions or comments you can submit them directly to GAYTWOGETHER or John R. Ballew, M.S. - www.bodymindsoul.org.

~~~~ borrowed, with THANK YOUs, from Michael . . Gaytwogether.com

4 comments:

Gary Kelly said...

I watched an interview with one of Australia's best selling authors, Peter Fitzsimons. Here's a grab of something he said:

"I can never remember which is the Russian writer that said this, and I quote it constantly so I should check it, but it was Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky, one of those Russian buggers, that once wrote, "I have had a wonderful day's writing. In the morning, I rode with princes through the forest. In the afternoon, I bathed with princesses," something like that. And the idea being that when you are totally absorbed in the story you're telling, that is where your head is. And so for me, when I was writing Kingsford Smith, I would have a fantastic day because from breakfast time to lunchtime, I would fly against the likes of the Red Baron. In the afternoon, I was with Lindbergh coming across the Atlantic, going across the Atlantic and landing in Paris. In the evening, I'd go for a spin with Smithy."

Me again. Yes, as a writer (or fantasizer) you can immerse yourself in an imaginary situation to the point where you're actually there, experiencing everything there is to experience.

You could write the history of my sexual experience on the back of a postage stamp with room to spare. So a little over 10 years ago I created a character named Daniel whose mission was to do everything sexually that I had never done, but had fantasized about. Hehe. By the time I finished about 200+ chapters, I was exhausted. More than that, I was no longer frustrated. I no longer felt as if I'd missed out on anything.

Yeah. Fantasies rule.

JustinO'Shea said...

GARY, this is a facinating post! Reading I had a new perspective on living creatively. . . .vive les fantesies!

I wonder if all the current-day stress on 'reality check', taking pulse of our various contacts, desires, aims, passions, orientations., etc. . .I wonder if our fantasy life doesn't give us some 'real time' of our own! Time to think our won thoughts; feel our own feelings. . . .instead of being caught up in being politically correct in all time and places. Sheeeeesshhhhh.

I want to spend some more time with this idea.

Thanks, Gary. Btw, how long did 'recovery' take? hahahahaa

Gary Kelly said...

Yes, Justino baby, how often have you had someone tell you to take a fantasy check as opposed to a reality check?

Walt Disney never underestimated fantasy. He built an empire on it. Imagine that... a duck-based empire. Hehe. Hey, don't knock it. It exists.

How many people read books of fiction? How many people get off on Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer? How many people are into Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader?

Reality check, reality schmeck.

Unknown said...

This is definately something that everyone needs to do more of. It helps to answer that question of "what makes you tick?"