Sunday, August 14, 2011

Montreal hosts annual Gay Pride Parade

Posted: Aug 14, 2011 9:02 AM ET

Last Updated: Aug 14, 2011 2:46 PM ET


Dancers perform during the annual gay pride parade in Montreal on Sunday. This year, organizers made efforts to change the festival's image by making it more family-friendly. Dancers perform during the annual gay pride parade in Montreal on Sunday. This year, organizers made efforts to change the festival's image by making it more family-friendly. (Canadian Press/Graham Hughes)

Beginning of Story Content

Tens of thousands of spectators witnessed the 2011 edition of Montreal's Gay Pride Parade Sunday afternoon in the city's downtown.
The parade featured about 2,500 participants as it travelled two kilometres along René-Lévesque Boulevard from Guy Street to Sanguinet Street.
Several prominent politicians made appearances at the event, showing their support for the LGBT community.
Those included Parti Québécois leader Pauline Marois, Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay, acting NDP leader Nycole Turmel, and Liberal Party of Canada interim leader Bob Rae.
No members of the governing Conservatives made official appearances.
The theme for the 19th annual Pride Parade was a futuristic one, entitled Odyssey 3011.

A family-friendly affair

In recent years the parade has expanded to a week-long festival called Célébrations de la Fiereté Montréal, one of two major LGBT festivals held in the city each year.
This year, organizers made efforts to change the festival's image by making it more family-friendly.
"The reason was to include the community, the show the world that gay is more than sex, drugs and parties. We're all about families," said festival organizer Jean-Sébastien Boudreault.
For the first time in its history, the festival held a kids day in the park bordering the gay village, and banned nudity during its events.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've believed for a while that all gay pride events should be a bit more family friendly. I'm wondering what your first person impression is, Justin. Especially since you come from an area that is so gay friendly.

Gary Kelly said...

Does anybody know where I can get one of those hats?

JustinO'Shea said...

How creative are you, Gary? Do you dare. . . .?

Go to a craft store, select the stuff you want in your hat, pay for it. . .go home and go creative! You can do it?

Now that. . I'd luv to see that!!!

Huuuuuaaaaaaahhhhhh !!!

Gary Kelly said...

It wouldn't be the first time I've done the drag routine, JustinO. I could tell you some stories... but I don't wanna lead you astray.

Okay, one... since you insist. The girl I was living with had a date with her new boyfriend. So while they were out, I raided my girlfriend's closet and dressed up in all her flamboyant finery and jewellery. I looked like Barbara Streisand and Carmen Miranda all rolled into one. When they got home after midnight, the girl figured I'd been up to no good, so she snuck him in the back way and into her bedroom. Sorry, babes, I'm a wake up to you. Anyway, to make a long story short, the bloke fell madly in love with me and gave the girl the flick. Hehe. What am I laughing at? When the bloke started giving me the eye, I shat myself. And the girl? She was furious for months after that.

Yes... I'm afraid I have a dark past, JustinO.

GreginAdelaide said...

I've never been particularly interested in anything to do with gay pride parades...other than a quick passing check/perve of the flesh in media pics...ha!

I've said it before, I don't particularly like the archetypal (or should that be archtypical, ha!) gay image. It does nothing for me, it does not excite or interest me and in fact I believe it demeans me in the eyes of others....ie I am gay therefore I am like those feathered painted creatures that parade, sinister and creepy.
I don't like the image that can be applied to me by others because I am gay as well.

Silly, it should not really worry me at all, I can tell myself that the problem is with the people that are narrow minded enough to apply that paint brush to me....but I cannot.
As they say, shit sticks.

So, while I certainly respect the gay "scene" that enjoys this kind of image and actions and I most certainly do not want them to stop doing what they enjoy....it is a free world and others can express themselves as they see fit, but I distance myself from it generally.
...especially the gay drag queen image, it does nothing for me...even creeps me out a bit.

Give me clean cut boys/men/hunks any day. I like my men to be men....but having said that, I don't mind the softer sweeter types, just not lispy full-on female-emulators.

There, that's off my (hariy) chest...ha! Make of it what you will.

So, making gay pride events family friendly? Sure, but you cannot change and guarantee the parades will be friendly, perhaps, as someone mentioned, some side events for families...no nudity etc, so that all can join in. A good inclusive approach.

JustinO'Shea said...

OMGGG!!!

ROFLMSAO !!! HO HO HO. . . .I have a vivid imagination! You mut have been gorgeous! hahahaa