Sunday, March 4, 2012

A 2 hour film on Prop 8 in California. . . . .


“Featuring an all-star cast including George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Martin Sheen, Jamie Lee Curtis, Jane Lynch, Kevin Bacon and others, "8" is a play written by Academy Award winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black and directed by acclaimed actor and director Rob Reiner. It is a powerful account of the case filed by the American Federation for Equal Rights (AFER ) in the U.S. District Court in 2010 to overturn Proposition 8, a constitutional amendment that eliminated the rights of same-sex couples to marry in the state of California. Framed around the trial's historic closing arguments in June 2010, 8 provides an intimate look what unfolded when the issue of same-sex marriage was on trial.”



Great cast.  I think Dustin Lance Black  did the Oscar-winning film on Harvey Milk, San Francisco Activist, elected to County Board of Supervisors


Mar 4 2012 02:09 AM ET

Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and Kevin Bacon in Prop 8 play: Watch it here! -- VIDEO

brad-pitt-george-clooney
UPDATED: On Saturday night, an A-list cast led by George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Martin Sheen, and Kevin Bacon participated in a live reading of Dustin Lance Black’s play 8, taken largely from the transcripts of the federal trial to overturn Proposition 8, which outlawed gay marriage in California. While the reading is serving as a fundraiser for the American Foundation for Equal Rights — the organization behind the effort to overturn Prop 8 — the event was streamed live on YouTube. And now you can watch the full program below. The play itself starts at roughly the 30 minute mark after a recap of news reports and speeches about the court case challenging Prop 8:
 


6 comments:

JustinO'Shea said...

Why can't/won't you Bostonians learn to speak Americanese like the rest of us?
nyuk. . nyuk. . .nyuk. . .like on Olde Cape Caaawwd.

GreginAdelaide said...

Okay, for a Boston-accent ignorant like myself, point me to a link where I can hear some typical Bostonese please?
My ear is tuned to Cali I guess, since I've spent most time there when I have been in the US and have not heard....or more like taken notice of other regional accents other than Tex-arse and The South.
It's all a little bit hard to tell from films and TeeVee cos you never know if an actor is doing a good job of an accent or not.
Hell, some of the efforts of US and otehr foreign actors have done on Australian accents have been unbelievably bad so I know never to take what I hear as gospel.
Teach me please.

JustinO'Shea said...

C'mon, Greg. . .lighten up a bit. . .don't take our comments seriously. . it is all local kidding. ;-) between Coops and me. You'll hear lots of variety among the natives, the locals. . .occasionally a lilt will arise. . lol. . .

Gary Kelly said...

Search Boston Accent on Youtube.

She'll be right mate no worries.

GreginAdelaide said...

Sheesh Justin, if I lighten up any more I'll catch fire!!...lol.

Nope you got me wrong.
I was not at all thinking you guys were serious in your comments, no not one little bit. I was having a good chuckle at it.

I most certainly appreciate the larger differences in the US dialect and accents, but am not able to pick the more subtle ones and certainly cannot pinpoint more than a few to their respective regions....and the Boston New England versions do not jump up and hit me in the face hard enough for me to recognise.
It is not one that I recognise as such.

I was just after a bit of edumaction, that's all.

As I said, taking actor's portayals of accents is fraught with inaccuracies...Meryl Streep's "version" of Lindy Chamberlain's voice is legendary here in Oz...haha..."A dingo's got my ba-a-by" ...heehee!
And I am sure some Australian actors have murdered US accents equally as well, so I was after some pointers.

And Gary, yes I did U-Google it last night and found a mixture of enlightenment and confusion....some things I can now pick, just, I think.
Need more practice.

Coop was good enough to point me to a few good examples as well, ta Coop and ta Gary....and ta Justin, "She's (all) right, no f'n wurries mate!"

(That's not Bostonian, by the way...heehee!)

JustinO'Shea said...

Taaaaaa, Greg! Just wanted to be sure you know I was picking on Da Coopstaaaah. . .. actually Coops and I speak rather alike, given the nuances from North and South Shooaaahhhs LOL. . And then all of New England States have variations of accents and peculiarities since we never really all learned to speak English. . to varying degrees we kinda sll do our thingie with Ameircanese N.E. style. ;-)

Pay no attention to all my nonsense. ;-))). . .. .Just.in